The University of Adelaide College is committed to supporting our students, staff, and community members through the COVID-19 pandemic. Our campus safety measures and risk controls are continually informed by State and Commonwealth Government health guidelines and advice to ensure an engaging and safe on-campus experience.

Campus Status


Campus open


Campus open

On-Campus Guidelines

  • We kindly ask everyone to continue to wear masks on campus – for the safety of our College community. Even though masks are not mandatory – masks are encouraged and appreciated.
  • Do not come to campus if you are feeling unwell, or are experiencing any symptoms of COVID-19.
  • If you feel unwell during your time on campus, please leave immediately. In these cases, please get tested for COVID-19 and isolate until you receive a negative result.
  • Stay COVID-safe by washing your hands, maintaining physical distancing where possible and avoiding physical greetings.

We are supporting a COVID-safe campus through regular sanitisation and cleaning, and effective ventilation.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

For the most up to date information we have provided links below. We encourage current students to activate their Sonder Safe registration in order to access updates, alerts and additional support – even if not in Australia.

Pre-arrival questions:

Do I have to be vaccinated to travel to Australia? StudyAdelaide: Return of International Students to Adelaide

What do I need to do before I travel? Department of Home Affairs: COVID-19 and the border

Travel restriction exemption for travellers to and from Australia: Departments of Home Affairs: International travel restriction exemptions

Vaccines currently recognised and approved in Australia can be found on the Australian Government’s Smartraveller website.

The Australian Technical Advisory Group on Immunisation (ATAGI) advice on the definition of fully vaccinated can be found on the Department of Health website.

You will need to provide a travel exemption if you wish to enter Australia and are unvaccinated.

Travel Restrictions and Exemptions: Department of Home Affairs: COVID-19 and the border

Travel restriction exemption for travellers to and from Australia: Departments of Home Affairs: International travel restriction exemptions


Unvaccinated Travellers: Government of South Australia: International travel


When you arrive in Victoria – Travellers who are not fully vaccinated: Victorian Government: Information for overseas travellers

Current COVIDSafe Settings Vaccination requirements: Victorian Government: How we live

People under the age of 18 years are considered fully vaccinated in the State of Victoria. This also applies for entry into the state.


No. But remember that any person aged 12 years 2 months and over who wishes to enter South Australia must abide by the entry conditions, as set out on the StudyAdelaide website.


No. Additionally, People under the age of 18 years are considered fully vaccinated in the State of Victoria. This also applies for entry into the state.

Current COVIDSafe Settings Vaccination requirements: Victorian Government: How we live

On arrival questions:


On arrival into South Australia, anyone who is fully vaccinated is required to undertake a RAT or PCR test and quarantine until the test is taken. Because of this requirement, you are strongly encouraged to bring a RAT with you or undertake your PCR test immediately after landing, while leaving the airport and on the way to your accommodation. This encouragement is designed to ensure that you can move freely in Adelaide, rather than incur isolation immediately on arrival until you are able to take a test. This applies to anyone over the age of 12 years and 2 months. For more information on testing, see ‘Testing’ section below.

If you are living independently, you can access information about isolating and quarantining here:

If you have questions, please contact your accommodation provider or the College accommodation manager.


On arrival into Victoria, anyone who is fully vaccinated is required to:

  • Immediately quarantine at home or other private accommodation upon arrival.
  • Get a rapid antigen test, or a PCR test if you don’t have access to a rapid antigen test, within 24 hours of arriving in Australia and continue to quarantine until you get a negative result.

For more information on testing, see ‘Testing’ section below.

If you receive a positive result from a PCR test, SA health’s COVID-19 Response Care Team will be in contact with you on receipt of the positive result and will inform you on how to proceed. You should have already been in quarantine from when your test was taken.

If you test positive in a rapid antigen test, you do not need to get a PCR test to confirm the result. You are required to report positive results and must do so at the following link:

Reporting your RAT result (SA): SA Government Form

You will be required to immediately isolate, and inform your close contacts that you have tested positive.

More information (including isolation time and subsequent testing) and support can be found here:

First steps and isolating at home:SA Health: Information about a positive result for COVID-19

If you test positive you must isolate immediately and inform your contacts that you have tested positive. If your positive test result is from a RAT, must also report your result at this link:

Reporting your RAT result (VIC): Victorian Government COVID-19 Positive Rapid Antigen Test Self-Reporting Form

More information (including isolation time and subsequent testing) and support can be found on the Victorian Government website.

Kaplan will be providing the support students need to be well and undertake their studies. Our student support team will be in touch with each student and will provide personalized support. If you are in need of support, please contact us immediately.


Virtual Student Services Hub: (for current students)


Sonder Safe

We strongly recommend that, once enrolled, you register for Sonder Safe. As our trusted partner for student safety, a broad range of personalised support is provided to students through their service. Find out more on our Sonder page.

For access to supplies, students can have a friend or other contact person drop off supplies to their doorstep, so long as they do not see or interact with each other. Students can utilize room service or the front desk if they are in a hotel or residential accommodation site or use food and grocery delivery services and opt for no-contact delivery. Students are strongly encouraged to download and access the Sonder app, which is free for all UAC students, to receive prompt and reliable support for all basic needs to be met. Sonder is available via the AppStore and Google Play store, or can be accessed on the Sonder website.

There is no change in OSHC coverage for students for in-patient or out-patient medical services specific for COVID-19 but if a student is in doubt they can all us on 1800 88 942. Please visit Bupa’s COVID-19 page for more information.

Yes, OSHC will cover the cost of treatment as per the OSHC Deed and is not an excluded service. Please note waiting periods, fund and policy rules apply.

International students have access to both inpatient services (hospitals) and outpatient services (GP services, specialists, etc) as stipulated under the OSHC Deed. Further information can be found via the BUPA website:


South Australia & Victoria

In order to meet testing requirements after arrival, you are encouraged to bring a Rapid Antigen Test with you on your journey to Australia, or your homestay will source one for you at your expense. You can also ask your homestay to pre-book you for a PCR test.You can isolate in your homestay until you receive a negative result.

If you contract COVID-19 and/or need to isolate, you can remain at home in your homestay.

If you happen to test positive for COVID-19 before arriving at your homestay, please contact so we can support you together with your homestay.



South Australia & Victoria

At Urbanest you will be able to isolate in a designated apartment on arrival and will be supported to obtain a RAT or find your way to the local testing station. You will be able to isolate at Urbanest if you receive a positive result.


PCR test results are sent to you via text message, or using a unique booking/test number to look up your result. Waiting duration depends on demand. It is normally about 24 hours, but can be up to 2 days (in rare cases). If you are waiting for results for a significantly longer time period than expected, contact the site your test was obtained and ask to speak to someone about your results.

You can leave your accommodation to undertake a PCR test.

RAT tests are available from most pharmacies, supermarkets and petrol stations.



What test should I get?: SA Health: Testing and Tracing

Find a testing location and book (no bookings needed at some locations): SA Health: Clinics and Testing Centres

Book a PCR Test: SA Health: COVID-19 online test bookings

PCR tests are free at all SA Health hospitals and COVID-19 testing centres. This excludes pre-travel tests. If you choose to get tested by a private providers you may be charged a gap fee for COVID-19 testing: SA Health: Testing for COVID-19



What test should I get: Victorian Government: Getting Tested

Find a testing location. No bookings are made at Victorian testing centres. Pre-register your details to reduce time at the testing station: Victorian Government: Where to get tested for COVID-19

The COVID-19 test is free for everyone. There is no fee for the test when you get tested at a public health facility, mobile testing centre or GP offering bulk billing: Victorian Government: Taking the Test

Currently RAT tests are only free for those who have been directed to take a RAT test by the local health authorities. There are designated collection points for these RAT tests. See the links below for details.

If you want to take a RAT test but have not been directed to do so by health authorities, then you can buy your own from a chemist or other location. Below is a website to use to find a RAT (these are not all the places you can find a RAT, so also check with your local supermarket or pharmacy): Find A RAT

South Australia: SA Health: Rapid antigen testing (RAT) for COVID-19

Victoria: Victorian Government: Rapid antigen tests

State / Australia specific questions:

To see the current level of restrictions, click on one of the links below:

South Australia: Government of South Australia: Current activity restrictions

Victoria: Victorian Government: How we live

The Australian Government appears committed to keeping national boarders open. It is not possible to predict future circumstances. You can keep up to date with the Department of Home Affairs via their website.


There are no restrictions on travel within South Australia, but there are entry requirements applicable to high risk settings such as Hospitals, Prisons and Care Facilities. Patrons must abide by any directives outlined in a site’s COVID Safe plan.
If you want to leave the state of South Australia to travel to another state, you are encouraged to check the rules of the state you are travelling to before you leave. Not all state travel arrangements are the same. See the Government of South Australia website for information on each state.


There are no limits on travel or accommodation within Victoria. It is strongly recommended that people staying in accommodation venues in Victoria (e.g. hotels, Airbnb) are fully vaccinated. Vaccination requirements or proof of exemption may apply to relevant settings. There are no restrictions on leaving Victoria, but travel may be impacted by rules at your destination. You are encouraged to check entry requirements on the Victorian Government website before you book.

College and program specific questions:

The College is here to support all students to be successful in their studies. In the current study period, classes are being delivered in dual mode (some face to face and online). If you are required to quarantine or isolate, please contact your teacher if you can’t attend face to face classes).

Some courses will be delivered F2F where there are sufficient numbers to ensure a great student experience. If a student is onshore, and one of their classes is face-to-face, they will be expected to study in that mode.

This will continue to be an option for Semester/ Trimester 1 2022. No commitment for further study periods has been made. Updates will be provided as the situation becomes clearer. Students should know that the College’s priority is to ensure continuity in studies and successful transition to the University of Adelaide.

Last updated: Wednesday, 20 Apr 2022