Visa Information


We understand that you want to know as much as possible before booking a course with the College. We hope the information below answers any questions you have.

If you cannot find the answer to your question, please contact us more information.

Do I need a visa to study in Australia?

To study a program at the College you will need a Student Visa. For more information about obtaining an Australia visa please visit the Australian Immigration Services website, or visit the Australian Embassy or Consulate in your region.

If you require assistance you can contact an agent in your area. View our list of agents here

How much time does it take to get a Student Visa?

A Student Visa is issued to students who are going to study full-time in Australia. The time it takes to obtain one depends on the Australian Embassy from which you apply. For more information about timeframes, please visit the Home Affairs (HA) website or  contact a College agent in your area

How soon can I start?

If you are applying for a visa, you should allow enough time for your desired starting dates, especially if you need accommodation. For more information about timeframes, please visit the Home Affairs (HA) website or contact a College agent in your area.

I didn't write a start date on my application because I want to start as soon as I get approved for a student visa is that ok?

We need to have a start date in order to process an application. Enough time should be given for your visa to be processed and accommodation secured.

What happens if my visa is denied?

As per the Terms and Conditions, fees paid will be refunded on receipt of written notification and proof that your visa application was denied prior to your start date.

Does the College issue visas for Australia?

No. All visas are issued by the Australian Immigration Service or Embassy/Consulate abroad.

How do I get a visa?

You must first apply to study at the University of Adelaide College. If you are eligible for admission, the College will issue an Offer of Admissions (OoA) and invoice to you. The College issues you a receipt and ECOE (Electronic Confirmation of Enrollment) for student visa when the completed and signed OoA and full payment is received for your booking. You should send these documents to the Australia Immigration Service or Embassy/Consulate as evidence of your course.

Which Embassy should I visit?

Usually you are expected to visit the Australian Embassy/Consulate in the country for which you hold citizenship (i.e. the country that issued your passport). If your country does not have an Australia Embassy/Consulate or if you are currently located in a different country, you should contact the closest Australia Embassy to see if they can accept your application for a visa. To find your local Australia Embassy, visit

How long will my visa be valid for?

The University of Adelaide College does not issue your visa and therefore cannot confirm for how long it will be valid. Visas are typically given for the length of your course + 4 weeks. However, this is dependent on providing the Immigration service with the proper documents. You should confirm this information with your local Australia Embassy/Consulate.

Can the College help me complete an application for a visa?

The University of Adelaide College is able to provide you with the documents to prove you are a confirmed student at our school (Offer of Admissions, Accommodation Guarantee, and/or Receipt). However, prior to arrival, it is the student’s sole responsibility to complete all government documents. You can also contact an agent. View our list of agents here

Once you are at the College we can give you the necessary information on how you can change your visa or apply for a visa extension if necessary.

What is the likelihood that my Visa application will be approved?

The College does not issue visas and therefore cannot confirm the likelihood of approval. However, you should note that the granting of a visa is not guaranteed.

What happens if I am denied a visa?

If denied your visa, you should ask the Consular Officer for the reason of denial before you leave the Embassy. You have the right to request the denial in writing as well. If no reason or a reason due to your personal submission is stated, the College will be unlikely to be able to assist you further. In most cases, the government’s decision is final and there is little the College can do to change their decision.

Can my student visa be extended if I need more time to study?

Yes, if you would like to continue your studies with the College, our Student Services will be glad to assist you with your Student Visa extension. You should notify Student Services of your plans to extend at least 4 weeks prior to your last day of study.

What does Australian Immigration Services require in a bank statement?

The bank statement/letter should show that you and/or your sponsor have enough funds to cover the cost of study. In addition, it must show that all funds are readily available without penalty for withdrawal. For this reason, statements from checking and/or savings accounts are best. Income statements, property deeds and other similar forms of investments are typically not acceptable.
You can show funds through multiple accounts and/or multiple sponsors, if necessary.

Do I have to show a bank statement on arrival even if I have paid?

The College recommends that all students arriving into the country carry with them proper documentation as stated on the HA (Home Affairs) website:

How much money do I need to show on my bank statement?

Australia Immigration Service needs to see that you have sufficient funds to cover your living requirements while in Australia. You must also show you have a return air ticket on arrival into Australia.

Can I change my start date after receiving my Student Visa?

You can change your start date anytime before entering Australia. Simply contact the College to confirm your new start date as soon as you know about the change. At that time, the College will mail you a revised Enrollment Agreement to show your new study dates. A failure to notify the University of Adelaide College about these changes can cause problems for you at the Port of Entry and/or Australian Embassy.

Can I enter Australia before or after my start date?

The Student Visa issued to you by the Home Affairs will notify you of the dates your Student Visa is valid. You should adhere to these dates.
If you travel to Australia after your start date, you will probably face problems at the Port of Entry, since it appears you failed to meet the requirement of reporting to the school by your start date. To prevent problems at the Port of Entry, you should contact the College and ask that we postpone your start date if you are unable to arrive before your start date. At that time, the College will mail you a revised Letter of Acceptance with a postponed start date.

What documents will I need to show at the Port of Entry?

In general, you must show the Port of Entry Officer the following documents. If these documents are missing or incomplete, you may be detained, questioned or denied entry altogether:

    • A valid (non-expired) passport
    • A valid (non-expired) Student Visa (if applicable)
    • Bank statement
    • Proof of outbound travel (if arriving on a visitor’s visa)
    • Documents from the College:
      • Letter of Acceptance
      • Receipt

For more information visit

Can I work during my studies at the College?

Students with a valid STUDENT visa may work up to 40 hours every two weeks after starting their course and work unlimited hours during their course holidays. This work right is included automatically for all students coming in on a student visa. Students may also work on a working holiday visa.

Last updated: Tuesday, 09 Mar 2021